A T2202A Tuition and Enrolment Certificate is a document that allows taxpayers to claim tax credits for amounts paid to certain schools, colleges, universities, etc.

During tax season, one of the most important inclusions for Canadian post-secondary students when filing their income tax returns is the T2202A. Issued by the post-secondary institution to the student, the T2202A provides the student and Canada Revenue Agency with a detailed snapshot of the student’s financial expenditure at the university for the taxation year in question and is pivotal in determining the student’s present and future access to tuition tax credits.


What Expenses are Covered by the T2202A?

A T2202A is a certificate issued to students of Canadian universities that provides the Canada Revenue Agency with salient information about the student’s post-secondary expenses. Among other things, the T2202A provides proof as to the enrolment of the student, the number of months spent at the post-secondary institution by the student, and the amount of eligible tuition money spent. The university also indicates whether the student was enrolled for full-time or part-time study. The T2202A may also include any charitable donations that the student contributed through the institution during the taxation year.


Who Gets a T2202A

T2202A forms are issued to all students who have expended in excess of $100 on post-secondary studies during a taxation year. Only amounts paid to institutions that are tax deductible will be listed on the T2202A. Fees such as health insurance, residence fees, meal plans, and books may not be eligible for the tuition credit and consequently, not listed by the post-secondary institution on the T2202A.


How does a Student File a T2202A?

The T2202A is used in conjunction with “Schedule 11” forms that indicate the maximum amounts of federal tuition, education and textbook amounts that can be transferred to a designated individual and that can be carried forward to a future year.

The T2202A is used in conjunction with the “Schedule (S11)” for students who lived outside the province of Quebec on December 31st of the taxation year to calculate the provincial or territorial amount that can be claimed and the maximum amount that can be transferred to a designated individual with respect to the personal education amounts incurred by the student during the taxation year.

Students living in Québec on December 31st receive “RL-8: Amount for post-secondary studies” slips that allow for the students to transfer tuition expenditures to their parents and also allow for the student to apply for the province of Québec’s tuition tax credit.


Is the T2202A Used to Transfer Tuition Credits?

Despite the fact that parents are eligible to have the tuition amounts apply as a tuition credit on their returns, the T2202A must be filed by the student. The student must complete and sign the transfer section of their T2202A certificate before giving it to their parent, grandparent or spouse. The recipient fills in the credit amount on line 324 their Schedule 1 in order to apply the credit to their income.


Tuition Tax Credits and T2202A

As of January 1st, 2017, Canadian students were no longer eligible for education and textbook tax credits, though still eligible for tuition tax credits. Any unused education and textbook tax credits incurred on or before December 31st, 2016 are still eligible for the education and textbook tax credit. For more detailed information on the new tuition tax credit deductions available to Canadian post-secondary students, click here.


If your tuition claims have been denied by the CRA, or you have questions about filing your taxes with these claims, call us today!



This article provides information of a general nature only. It does not provide legal advice nor can it or should it be relied upon. All tax situations are specific to their facts and will differ from the situations in this article. If you have specific legal questions you should consult a lawyer.